Friday, September 7, 2007

Trying to Solve the Problem at the Level of the Problem

I had a great teacher wants tell me that I could not solve the problem at the level of the problem. This meant I had to step out of the problem and look at it objectively. I had to look at it from the outside looking in. This is where a good coach is really valuable. I have tried to solve some business and personal problems by myself and could never find a solution. Then one phone conversation with my coach or mentor and just like that the problem is solved.


How is that so? Well, let me explain.

You and I make decisions and solve problems based on our own individual map of reality, which is only the map and not reality. The term the map is not the territory is a remark by Alfred Korzybski. His view was that an abstraction derived from something, or a reaction to it, is not the thing itself, e.g., the pain from a rock falling on your foot is not the rock; one's opinion of another person, favorable or unfavorable, is not that person; and so on. One of the principles of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is the map is not the territory. NLP has been described by its creators as “the study of the structure of subjective experience.” The subjective experience is how people experience and conceive reality.


So we make decisions and solve our problems based on our map of reality. In the book, A Course in Miracles, which is really an incredible way to train your mind, the first six lessons are as follows:

  1. Nothing I See Means Anything.
  2. I have given everything I see all the meaning that it has for me.
  3. I do not understand anything I see.
  4. These thoughts do not mean anything.
  5. I am never upset for the reason I think.
  6. I am upset because I see something that is not there.

Another way to look at all of this is that within your mind you have beliefs, values, filters, meta programs and then throw in your conditioning, self-image/confidence, barriers of self-limitation and your personality. This is your map of reality. It is not reality. Your map of reality can be changed and that starts with a decision by you.

For any outcome you want, there is a certain way of thinking and acting that will get it for you. What are you thinking and how are you acting. The results that you are getting in your life are based on your map of reality. You are both the director and the actor. You can change your map and change your results. The truth is all things are possible and all we need to do is decide what we want and to really go for it.

Who would you be, what would you do, and what would you have if you knew you could not fail?

No comments: