Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Deliberately Creating Community


I created my company Practical Empowerment, LLC to show individuals, families, business owners and organizations how to create what they really want. Our purpose of is to inspire and touch people in such a way that they make the decisions and take the actions necessary to transform their life. Our mission is to make a meaningful and positive difference in peoples’ lives so that they can be more, do more and have more of life. We do that through a seven step process we call Practical Empowerment. The seven step process shows people how to gain power and control over their lives so that they can decide and create the life they really want. Practical Empowerment is a multi-dimensional process that is capable of being put to use, practice or action, is workable and gets the dramatically improved results that every individual, family, business owner and organization wants.

One of the steps is community. Community is defined as a unified body of individuals with common interests living in a particular area. It can be a group linked with a common policy, history, social, economic or political interests. Community is about joint participation.

How do you get involved in your community? You can join a church, synagogue, mosque or other place of worship? You can volunteer at your local coop or food bank. You can be part of your community foundation Viroqua Area Foundation or local charity. This is where we can get meaning and connect with others. This is where we realize we are really all the same.

One way I have found to create community is to attend my local farmer’s market every Saturday morning here in Viroqua, WI. Search - LocalHarvest. It is a chance for me to buy organically grown fruits and vegetables that were grown by my neighbors. It is a chance for me to meet and talk with people and stay connected. I also know that I am helping the environment because my purchases are not shipped thousands of miles from the producer. I also know that I am supporting a small business grow and prosper in my community.

If you are looking for other ways to create community, go to Tools for Creating Community Sustainability Goals and read the information.

No comments: