Monday, August 27, 2007

Forgiveness is the Key to Happiness

We have been told by every great spiritual teacher to forgive. In the bible it says, ‘And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye.” So let’s look at forgiveness from a very practical viewpoint. When we don’t forgive it robs us of our free attention and it is our free attention that we need to create what we want in our lives. The definition of attention is the creative energy that brings about reality.

So how do I forgive? It is a process and starts with a decision. I realize that forgiveness is better than holding a grievance. I realize that the power of decision is my own. I realize that happiness is a choice and is up to me if it is going to be. I realize that an unforgiving thought is focusing on what I do not want versus what I want.

Once I make the decision to forgive, I then realize that I might have to forgive not 7 times 7 times, but 70 times 70 times. I have found the following prayers to be very helpful and were given to me by some of my greatest teachers.


TRUE FORGIVENESS

A thought process example

From: The Disappearance of the
Universe

By Gary R. Renard

You’re not really there. If I think you are guilty or the cause of the problem, and if I made you up, then the imagined guilt and fear must be in me. Since the separationfrom God never occurred, I forgive “both” of us for what we haven’t really done. Now there is only innocence, and I join with the Holy Spirit in peace.




Fear binds the world. Forgiveness sets it free.


There is a very simple way to find the door to true forgiveness, and perceive it open wide in welcome. When you feel that you are tempted to accuse someone of sin in any form, do not allow your mind to dwell on what you think he did, for that is self-deception. Ask instead, “Would I accuse myself of doing this?”

40 Day Forgiveness Prayer
By Carol Canova

Must be done for forty consecutive days or the soul knows you need more time, so you start over if you miss a day. Do the prayer before bedtime.

Get completely relaxed, until you feel as though your body is floating – Relax – allow now your muscles to open and the tension to float free – now tell your heart to open and to allow all the hurts you’ve felt to be encapsulated in little balloons and to float freely to the Father to be blessed and healed.


Visualize now the face of the one you’re forgiving – and know that you’re speaking to their very soul. Visualize your soul speaking through you to their soul and know that this is so. Then speak inwardly (or aloud if possible), saying: “_____, I forgive you for all the times you’ve hurt me consciously and unconsciously since the beginning of time, and ______, I’m asking forgiveness of you for all the times I’ve hurt you consciously and unconsciously since the beginning of time.”

Let your soul turn and look at your own self and say to yourself, “______,

I forgive you and I love YOU.”

Then say, “Father God, forgive me for everything in this situation and relationship and release me. Thank You for this beautiful forgiveness. Thank You for this release from the memories and distorted perceptions.”

Amen and Amen.

Have a great day - Marty



No comments: