Thursday, August 2, 2007

Measuring Your Performance

I have been a CPA since 1974 and a CFP since 1989. I have worked with individuals, families, business owners and organizations for the past 35 years helping them produce greater incomes, save money in income and estate taxes, increase sales, start and sell their business, create vision and mission statements, do planning, produce meaningful and timely financial information and increase their net worth. I have worked in just about every industry there is and with both large and small companies. I have developed an expertise in helping companies increase their bottom line. I have started, operated and sold many successful businesses. So with all this experience, I have developed some practical ideas that can be used by anyone to transform their business and personal life.


One of the most important ideas I share with my business owners is the need for meaningful, accurate and timely financial information. This is the one idea that can transform your business, because it will measure your performance and show you exactly where you are positioned financially. A runner would never run a race without a watch and trying to run your business without financial statements is the kiss of death. Your balance sheet details assets, liabilities and net worth, while the income statement tells the story of your performance showing revenues and expenses. In addition, the cash flow statement explains how the cash was received and spent.


Ideally you should have your financial statements completed by the 10th or 15th day after month end. This allows you to make adjustments before it becomes too late to make adjustments to your operations until the next month. Having meaningful, timely and accurate financial information will let your banker know you really are serious about success and they will want to be part of your team. If you need help completing your financial statements, please let me know


I have found that one of the best software programs for doing your accounting to be QuickBooks and you can find more information at Accounting Software – QuickBooks. In addition, I like the QuickBooks Online program because there is no need for backups, you have access to it anywhere in the world and I can be in the program giving you advice from my office while you are in the program at your place of business. You can find more information at Online Accounting Solutions and Professional Internet Accounting Software - QuickBooks OE | Home


If you want to purchase regular QuickBooks, you should call me because I usually can get a discount on the program at 608-637-6898 or email me at marty@martymcevoy.com In addition, if you would like to purchase QuickBooks Online, you should call my friend Patrick Gillogly at QuickBooks Online at 520-407-6759 or email him at patrick_gillogly@intuit.com If you tell him I said to call, he will give you a 40% discount off the purchase price.


Decide today to have meaningful financial statements. Success and decision are partners.

No comments: